What Happens If I Miss a Child Support Payment in Louisiana?

person holding money

As a parent, you likely want to go above and beyond for your child. When you and your spouse split, providing child support to help ensure your children get what they need is critical. Unfortunately, if circumstances change and you miss a child support payment or can no longer afford the amount, it’s essential to understand what could happen as a result. Luckily, the following blog can assist if this reflects your circumstances. Additionally, you’ll want to contact a Monroe, Louisiana child support lawyer for additional help through these matters.

How Does Louisiana Calculate Child Support?

When calculating child support, Louisana will consider what the standard of living would be if both parents were still together. As such, they will take the income of each parent into account when determining how much each parent owes towards child support. However, because there are so many variables, the courts will also consider the following:

  • How much time the child spends with each parent
  • How many children the parents have
  • Any childcare costs
  • How old the child is

What Are the Consequences if I Miss a Child Support Payment?

If you miss a child support payment, you may assume a one-time slip-up is not a big deal. However, this is far from the truth. In reality, a late or missed payment can have serious consequences.

If you know you will be late on the payment, the first thing you should do is connect with the recipient’s parent and explain the situation. Generally, they may be understanding. However, they reserve the right to report the payment as late to the courts.

Should you completely miss a payment, this will be treated as any other debt. As such, it can impact your credit and may be sent to collections. If you continue to refuse or fail to pay, the judge may find you in contempt of court, as this violates your court order to make payments.

What Are My Options if I Can’t Afford the Amount?

When you can no longer afford your child support payments, whether it’s because you lost your job, welcomed a new child into the world, or have developed chronic health issues that prevent you from working you may panic. It’s important to understand that you have options, however. Generally, you must petition the court to ask for a modification or to revoke your child support payments. However, if your inability to pay is due to your job loss, you must show the courts that you’ve made a reasonable effort to find new employment in the meantime.

As such, working with an attorney to help petition the courts is critical. At Breithaupt, DuBos, & Wolleson, LLC, our dedicated legal team will do everything possible to assist you through these complex times. Connect with us today to learn how we can guide you through these matters.

Contact Us Today
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.