If you lost your loved one prematurely and due to the negligence of another person, you may be dealing with the devastating aftermath of it all. Continue reading to discover if you are eligible for a wrongful death claim and how an experienced Monroe, Louisiana wrongful death lawyer at Breithaupt, DuBos & Wolleson can help you with the filing process.
Do I qualify for a wrongful death claim in the state of Louisiana?
Even though you may have been significantly impacted by the death of your loved one, this does not necessarily mean that you qualify for a wrongful death claim. By Louisiana law, the deceased’s surviving spouse and/or children are eligible to file a lawsuit. If the deceased does not have a surviving spouse and/or children, then those who can bring a claim forward read as follows:
- The deceased’s surviving parents.
- The deceased’s surviving siblings.
- The deceased’s surviving grandparents.
Notably, the statute of limitations for a wrongful death claim in Louisiana is one year from the date of your loved one’s death.
What kinds of damages can I recover in my wrongful death claim?
Although no amount of money can make up for the loss of your loved one, it may be the only way you ensure that justice is served. With that being said, you can recover a wide array of damages via a wrongful death claim, so long as you can satisfy the burden of proof. Such damages include, but are not limited to, the following:
- The cost of funeral and burial expenses.
- The cost of medical bills.
- The cost of lost wages that your loved one would have earned.
- The value of household services your loved one provided.
- The pain and suffering you endured.
- The loss of enjoyment of life.
- The loss of care, companionship, and guidance your loved one provided.
For assistance with gathering this evidence, contact a skilled Ouachita Parish, Louisiana personal injury lawyer today.
Contact Our Monroe, Louisiana Attorneys Today
No matter the legal issue, you can guarantee that Breithaupt, DuBos & Wolleson will provide you with the strong legal representation you deserve. Contact our Monroe, Louisiana attorneys to schedule your initial consultation today.